Mechanic at Salt Lake Express
Mechanics maintain equipment operation by completing inspections; identifying repair and/or replacement needs; performing all mechanical and electrical repairs on vehicles such as major engine repairs on diesel engines, air conditioning repairs, drivability diagnosis and electrical and wiring problems; performs and schedules preventative maintenance; ensures completion of projects in accordance with trade standards; provides information on the proper uses of equipment; report writing; and is required to perform all other duties as required and needed to operate the maintenance department.
- Works under limited supervision and selects from written instructions and established procedures to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Performs repairs and rebuilds on diesel engines.
- Performs repairs and assigned preventive maintenance services.
- Performs inspection, diagnosis, and repair of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on vehicles and equipment.
- Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
- Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Conducts safety checks on vehicles.
- Assists senior technicians in the completion of project work.
- Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate / OSHA Standards, and performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Ensure DOT compliance.
- Must obtain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Air Brake endorsements within 60 day
- Possess a combination of education and technical experience including a minimum of 3-5 years heavy diesel vehicles and equipment service and fleet experience.
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have own basic tools.
- Electrical and mechanical aptitude.
- Able to read schematics (both electrical and hydraulic)
- Perform thorough and accurate inspections
- Effective problem-solving skills and knowledge of heavy-duty vehicle components (i.e. diesel engines, hyd. brake systems, steering, suspension, auto transmission, vehicle drivability, etc.).
- Ability to use good judgment and Decision-Making skills.
- Observe and listen to vehicle in operation to determine malfunction and plan work procedures
- Must be able to lift at least 100 pounds.
- Must carry or be able to obtain a valid DOT physical exam card.
- Participate in a pre-employment drug test with a negative result and participate in random drug testing.
- Attend training classes and keep abreast of factory technical bulletins and relevant Federal, State and local guidelines and requirements
- Capable of communicating effectively and professionally with customers, supervisors, other personnel.
- Must be willing to go on repair calls and vehicle rescues
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bus or fleet maintenance experience a plus.
- History of working with different forms of heavy equipment (i.e. truck and trailers, excavators, forklifts, compactors, cranes, etc.) a plus.
Salt Lake Express provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Salt Lake Express complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.